Subject Matter Expert – Intellectual Property, Patent, and Trade SME
Does This Sound Like You?
Your team members and fellow colleagues look to you as a subject matter expert in patents, trademarks and intellectual property. Anyone who knows you says you take tremendous pride in everything you do and that you have a thirst for knowledge. You are respected for challenging the status quo and know that setting the example for exemplary performance is part of your job. You have a passion in educating the younger generations, providing them with the knowledge and wisdom you have become accustom to sharing. You have the gift of simplifying complex subjects that encourages curiosity, discovery and understanding.
Second Avenue Learning is looking for two individuals to participate as Subject Matter Experts and course content writers for K-12 content dealing with patents, trademarks, and intellectual property. This is a part-time/project-based position, where you would work with Second Ave as an Independent Contractor in a remote capacity.
What we need: Subject Matter Experts (SME): Intellectual Property, Patent, and Trade
Importance of role: The SME provides valuable real-world knowledge and experience to the development of the courses we offer our students.
What’s expected: The SME works with our course development team (Project Manager, Director of Learning Design, and Creative Director), through the design phase. A collaborative effort will create instructional content consisting of Lesson Plans, Instructional Videos, and Animations that engage and excite K-12 students.
Reports to: Director of Learning Design
The Basic Role Nuts & Bolts
Scope of work:
- Collaborate on direction of instructional pieces
- With the help of the Director of Learning Design, write the lesson plans, interactive elements, and animation scripts
- Competencies, skills, topics, evidence statements, and learning objectives
- Scope details for evidence statements and learning objectives
- Assessment design specifications
- 10 – 20 hours per week
- Includes scheduled meetings, the remaining time for the project will consist of asynchronous work.
SMEs will meet with the project team and Director of Learning Design for meetings Monday – Friday between the hours of 9 am – 5 pm EST. The preferred meeting time would be mornings, but there is flexibility when the meeting is scheduled between the individual and the project team.
Subject Matter Experts must meet the following criteria:
- Experience with Intellectual Property, Trademarks, and/or Patents
- Must know the processes and procedures of the USPTO with the ability to articulate key ideas to K-12 students
- Teaching experience preferred, but not required
- Course design or curriculum development is preferred
- SMEs for this course must be familiar with a broad range of Intellectual Property, Trademark, and Patent topics and have the creativity to explain them to the K-12 audience in engaging ways
- The ideal candidate will have a creative mindset who wants to motivate the next generation of inventors
- Hourly rate is negotiable
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit while using hands to use a computer or other technologies. The employee frequently is required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.